Tuesday 10 November 2009

Modelling the selected part

To Model for this project, I have been assigned to create the big main box section of the engine pictuterd here:


















At first I thought, oh this doesn't look too bad, wont take me too long to get it looking good, but it actually turned out more complex than I had realised with creating the bolts, the curves of the box and the different lines that this shape requires. The process started with creating just a basic box from the 3d shapes option, I made sure there was enoough vertices in there so I could manipulate it at a later stage, the more vertices there are the easier it is to manipulate because if you don't put them in when you create the object to start with, it can cause awkwardness to shape and modify later on.

After some manipulation, the first picture I have of the box looks like this:




















As you can see there is a step in the top of the box, this was created by selected all of the polygons on the top except the very outside edge of polygons, then using the scale tool, enlarging those selected polygons but only across the surface and not upwards. The with the same polygons selected, I used the extrude option to lift them up to create the step like effect of the real item.

Also as you can see there are some polygons raised out of the front of the box, this procedure will be explained in a short while. What we have here gives us the main structure of the box, but what needs to be manipulated is the shape of it.

Before we define where we can create the contours and lines of the box, we need to recreate some of the features of the box to put into perspective where each line should be for size referencing, so I created the Big round cylinder part on the front of the box first to start defining.

How I started this was to create a deep cylinder with a sphere inside it giving me this result:















The further modification meant that I could flatten one edge where it lines up next to the middle rectangle, So I used the cut tool to cut a straight line down the side of the front of the cylinder:















This allows me to select the polygons and delete them:





























I then used the weld vertices tool to drag and attach the appropriate vertices together to make a face and close the holes:















I didn't connect the back part of the vertices because I knew in my head that this part would be deleted in a minute:















So i used the mouse to click and surround the polygons I wished to delete, and pressed the deletekey to romove them:















leaving me with this result:















Next I converted the sphere into an editable poly























So that I could select certain polygons that i needed to remove















and delete them:















I noticed next that the sphere was actually bulging out too much in retrospect to the photos I had compared it with















Looking from above you can see the sphere is out way too far:















So I enlarged the sphere (or what was left of it) so the surface of it would be flatter but still spherical:















then moving it into position:















Just required me to delete off some of the polygons as done earlier on one of the other shapes, having moved this more into position relative to the main box to put it into perspective:















I tried selecting the corner vertex to move it and hide it, but all it did was ruin the shape that I wanted to try and create so i had to think of another way:






























So, I used the cut tool to cut a diagonal along each of the polygons in the four corners, but first I had to make the cylinder see-through:















After having cut the vertices and selected them ready to delete:






























After having deletec all the extra polygons:















Now time to just move the cylinder and sphere into place

No comments:

Post a Comment