Saturday 5 December 2009

Top of the box

moving onwards to the top of the box we have another door type shape and a funnel/exhaust part, so to begin with, the first task was to create two cylinders (or i could have extruded, looking back I don't quite know why i did not decide to But I think it was because I wanted to keep Polygons to a minimum):






























I selected the main box and then the 'Attach' option to attach the two cylinders so they became a part of the main shape:















Next I made the top of the cylinder black and cloned the nuts i had created previously by 4 and placed them on top:















Next I created a long cylinder to act as the funnel and selected the inner polygons ready to extrude and pull down inside the funnel itself:















Polygons once they were extruded and pulled inside:















Now the door, first job as with the others, is to choose the right polygons and extrude them and place the nuts on top pretty much resembled the top door in the photos:















Also for the top of the door, a triangle type shape needed to be added as well, as there were no obvious shapes that resembled the kind of shpae that I would need, i decided to create one by drawing it first in 2d using splines, note the circle in the middle as well.















converted it to editable poly:















Extruded the shape and capped the holes via the menu on the modifier option






























Next I placed the cylinder in the triangle so that I could detract it and leave a hole in the triangle using the boolean option:






























triangle placed on top of main box:















Looking back over the box I was happy with most aspects except for one aspect, which was that I wasn't that satisfied with the corner of the box by the big cylinder and after having used the extrude tool so many times, I was beginning to wonder why i hadn't used this tool to have created this part, perhaprs it was lack of experience or just having not thought about it, however I decided to change this which is documented in a couple of pictures below:






























The last part of the box that needed creating was the pipes coming out of the bottom of the bottom of the box with the levers that go on top:














To start with, I created the levers by drawing them using the splines tool and extruding them and converting them into and editable poly:






























Now the pipes to attach the levers to, this just required cylinders that were modified through editing them to replicate the exact shapes:













































I think that makes the box pretty much complete for this stage with , here are two renders:


















No comments:

Post a Comment